The Michael’s Wine Cellar team is proud to be the Official Wine Retailer for Wine, Women & Shoes benefiting Forty Carrots Family Center. It's our pleasure to work with dedicated teams of "Solemen" – and many sole sisters - who commit to selling these fabulous wines for a good cause. We'd like to share just a few highlights about the remarkable wineries participating in Wine, Women & Shoes Sarasota this year. (Michael claims its our best offerings of wines yet!)
The Parenting Program of Forty Carrots Family Center receives 20% of purchases made through November 13, 2014. Forty Carrots receives 10% of purchases made from November 14 – November 17, 2014. These donations are based on all purchases of these selected wines and special wine packages over the select time period.
Advanced online orders will be fulfilled as orders are received, so shop online now for all your holiday gatherings!
– These Napa Valley wines are created by the founder of Forty Carrots Family Center, Betsy Kane-Hartnett and her husband John Kane-Hartnett. When people ask Betsy, “Why 2880?” she tells them, “It’s the number of minutes it took John to realize he didn’t want our second date to end.” John tells them, “It’s our address.” Either way, 2880 is a labor of love and a celebration of family and friends. The Forty Carrots team has always been grateful to be part of their Sarasota family.
– This legendary Italian producer dates back to 1385. The Antinori family is one of the world’s oldest winemaking families, with the 26th
generation currently involved in the operation. The Antinori
estate makes some of the greatest wines
of Tuscany, Solaia, Tignanello and Guado al Tasso.
– “Merlot” is French patois for “Little Blackbird.” Blackbird Vineyards is an artisanal producer of Pomerol (Bordeaux)-inspired wines from the Napa Valley. Planted in 1997, the estate vineyard is located in the heart of the Oak Knoll District. The vineyard’s valley floor topography presents optimum growing conditions for Winemaker, Aaron Pott, to produce elegantly styled, appropriately balanced red wines that offer short and long term cellaring potential.
Bodega Catena Zapata
– In 1902, Nicola Catena, an Italian immigrant, planted his first vineyard in Mendoza, Argentina, and began the Malbec revolution. More than 100 hundred years and four generations of winemakers later, the Cantena family estates continue to offer exceptional wines which he pioneered in the region. The family and the winery’s employees take great pride in carrying on the tradition that began over a century ago, featuring wines which now garner outstanding reviews from worldwide media.
B.R. Cohn Winery
– B.R. Cohn Winery is one of few remaining family owned and operated estate wineries located in the Sonoma Valley. Founded by Bruce Cohn, manager of the Doobie Brothers, today Bruce’s eldest son Daniel Cohn oversees the winery business and serves as CEO of B.R. Cohn Winery and Olive Oil Company, making it a true family operation. Music, philanthropy and wine blend well as the winery hosts annual musical festivals.
– The well-known and respected Italian producer of Champenoise-method sparkling wines. The legend of Ferrari began with a man, Giulio Ferrari, and with his dream of creating a wine in Italy inspired by the very finest French Champagne. Ferrari was born over a century ago in 1902 through his efforts. By 1906, the awards started to roll in and Ferrari was well on its way to producing what would shortly become the most famous sparkling wine in all of Italy.
Hook & Ladder Winery
– In 1970, San Francisco firefighter Cecil De Loach and his wife Christine staked their claim in the wine grape business by purchasing 24 acres of old-vine Zinfandel in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County. Today, their vineyards produce cool climate grapes widely recognized as some of the finest in the world.
Miner Family Winery
– Miner Family Winery is a dynamic, family-owned winery tucked along the eastern hills of the Oakville appellation in the heart of Napa Valley. The Miner ranch runs exclusively on solar power. The winery is well-known for its powerhouse collection of red wines.
Pali Wine Co
. – Pali Wine Co. was created in 2005 with a goal of producing vineyard designate and American Viticultural Area
-specific Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from prestigious sites in California and Oregon at the best possible price, without compromising winemaking. Through a combination of hard work, a passion for wine and business acumen, Pali has quickly emerged as one of California’s most notable producers. The winery is named after the Pacific Palisades community in which the founders live.
Porter Family Vineyards
– This family owned and operated boutique vineyard and in-cave underground winery produces outstanding wines. Their story started five million years ago when a small sandpiper wandered along the shore, seeing a world we will never know. The tiny tracks the sandpiper left behind were covered with sediment and fossilized by the geological forces that created what is now the Porter Family Vineyards in the Coombsville region of Napa Valley. The family retains the fossilized footprints of the sandpiper found on their property as a reminder of the incredible history of the winegrowing site. We also enjoy the great pleasure of seeing Tom and Beverly Porter in town each year as they are seasonal residents to our area.
Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars
– Considered one of Napa Valley's first-growths, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars produces renowned Cabernet Sauvignons from its historic Stag Leap District estate vineyards. Founded in 1970, the winery brought international recognition to California winemaking and the Napa Valley when the 1973 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon won the now famous 1976 Paris Tasting, also known as the “Judgment of Paris.” Today, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars wines provide a strong link to the origin, style, and character of the limited-production estate wines, but they are produced in quantities that make them more accessible.
For those of you also supporting one of our dedicated “solemen” working hard to sell wine for a good cause: Be sure to reference your “soleman” name and their team name in the comments field when placing your order.