What Are Bordeaux Futures?
Futures, or en primeur, as it’s called in Bordeaux, is a method of purchasing a specific vintage of wine in advance, before it is bottled and released in the market. In early April each year, industry professionals gather in Bordeaux for the Unions des Grand Cru tastings (UGC), where they taste through barrel samples. Then the en primeur campaign begins and based on the quality of the wine, prices are set about 18 months before the wine is released in the general market.
Why Buy Bordeaux Futures?
- To purchase wines at the initial release prices. Wines re-released after bottling or sold at retail in an excellent vintage will usually be considerably more expensive.
- To secure allocations of small-production wines that may not be commercially available after “En Primeur” release. When these are gone, they are gone!
- To own wine from the start of its life – provenance is priceless. You know that you bought it and have controlled its storage from the beginning.
- To purchase a birth year vintage for a child, grandchild or godchild.
- To purchase a wedding year vintage.
- To purchase the latest vintages of a Château that you have followed and purchased over the years.
How Does It Work?
Bordeaux futures are an investment and basically, work like other market-traded commodities. Investors buy wine that has not yet reached the market. This allows the investor to obtain a potentially rare wine, at a bargain, then watch it increase in value. The wine is still in the barrels, unbottled, and won't be released for 12 to 18 months. Wine will begin to arrive after about 2 years.
Many of these wines have very limited availability. Purchases are on a first-come-first-served basis and are available by the solid case only (12 bottles unless otherwise noted). Bottle prices are displayed for comparison purposes only and do not indicate that these wines are available by the bottle.
Our Bordeaux Relationship
Michael’s On East Co-Proprietor Michael Klauber is our in-house Bordeaux specialist. He has spent a considerable amount of time in France exploring the vineyards, tasting the wines, and building personal relationships with the Chateaux owners. He works to ensure that Michael’s Wine Cellar offers outstanding Bordeaux Futures every year.
If you have any questions you call Michael’s Wine Cellar at (941) 366-0007 Ext. 249.